go to this site and for each word you get right, 20 grains of rice is donated. Check it out. It's small kine addicting and good for hungry people!
Friday, February 29, 2008
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Here's my two cents.
I knew I was a mother when I gave birth to my son and holding him right after but what really solidified my feeling as a mother was when we went to pick up my son from the in-laws who were watching him. We came back from the date and my son was crying really, really hard and when I picked him up, he stopped crying and starting calming down. THAT'S what made me really feel like a mother.
I'd love to hear yours just for kicks if you'd like to share with me :)
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
- what is your occupation? SPED teacher (for now)
- what are you listening to right now? the people in my offic
- what is the last thing you ate? BBQ chips, chicken salad sandwich
- do you wish on stars? not lately
- if you were a crayon what color would you be? rusty orange
- how is the weather right now? beautiful blue skies, can't even see any clouds
- last person you talked to on the phone? another teacher
- do you like the person who tagged you? yes, I do. I think she's pretty awesome. I wish I could hang out with her more.
- how old are you right now? Just turned 24 three weeks ago.
- your favorite drink? ice cold water
- favorite sport to watch? i like to watch volleyball, basketball and football with David.
- have you ever dyed your hair? twice
- your favorite job? I've ever really had two jobs so I'd have to say right now, I'd prefer working at the bookstore and dealing with customers than trying to help my unruly students who resist any help I try to give them...why? I don't know!
- any pets? a goldfish I had with my friend Sheena named Chris...who sadly died
- favorite month? February cuz then I have a birthday! or December...
- favorite food? chinese food, hawaiian food, anything mint chocolatey
- what was the last movie you watched? at home, I can't even remember... in the theater - 27 dresses
- what do you do to vent anger? i complain to myself or to anyone else around me and then...after awhile I forget I was even mad or why I was mad in the first place
- fall or spring? no seasons! i don't like seasons. hawaii weather all year round.
- hugs or kisses? hugs! and kisses from David
- living arrangements? renting a studio and looking for a bigger place. I miss having a living room.
- when was the last time you cried? last week?
- what is on the floor in your closet? We have a closet/storage space/food pantry
- what did you do last night? laundry and watched American Idol with my mother in law
- what inspires you? My husband and son
- what are you afraid of? losing someone i love. and cockroaches, bugs, what's in the dark, scary movies
- how many cars have you had? three, a 1986 Dodge Caravan, a 1990 Buick Century and now a 2007 Kia Sorento
- how many keys are on your key ring? I have two sets of key rings. one with my house and car key and the other my 2 room keys at work
- how many years at your current job? a year and a half
- favorite day of the week? Saturdays because I don't have to deal with students with attitude problems
- where have you lived? Hong Kong, Laie, HI, Logan and North Logan, UT, Richmond and Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, Newark and Fremont, CA and Hauula/Punaluu, HI
- first cd you ever bought? Dawson's Creek soundtrack
- favorite vacation? When David and I were still dating and he came to visit me in California and we toured San Francisco
- favorite tv shows? chuck, american idol, friends, my name is earl, ugly betty, the office, project runway, top chef, monk, psych, gilmore girls
I really don't like my phone. My phone has been giving me problems, turning off and on by itself or when I close my phone after I'm done with a call. It has also turned off during a phone call. It's ridiculous. Yesterday was the last straw. My phone had turned off on it's own again and when I went to turn it back on, it basically rebooted itself and went back to it's default setting so I lost all my number and pictures and basically deactivated itself so I had to call Sprint to activate a phone that I've already had for the past 2 years. Sprint said that the phone turning off and on was probably a battery problem so I could either buy a new battery or get a new phone and thus renew my contract with them for another two years (no thanks!). I could go to a Sprint repair store and get a new battery and then they can also run a diagnostic test on it to see what was wrong and maybe try to retrieve some information (if they even can) and to top it all off, I'll have to pay for the test too. I have to call the store and figure out how much it'll all cost me. I'm so irritated. I understand about the battery being drained but that still doesn't account for why my phone rebooted itself.
I really don't like Sprint! I wish I could just quit my contract without paying $200!!
Thursday, February 21, 2008
This is a video of Aaron laughing when he was 2 months old that I am now finally putting up! We first noticed him laughing when David scared him and now he laughs at random things. He's so funny!
Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Monday, February 18, 2008
TEN YEARS AGO:
Ten years ago in February...I can't even remember where I was...oh...Canada. Ok...so that was eighth grade...I think I discovered drama this year. I think I was in a church play where I was one of the main characters and even had to sing!! I still wore glasses and was in my first year of secondary school (I missed the intermediate/middle school/jr. high phase). I think I almost got into a fight too...
FIVE PLACES I HAVE LIVED!
1. Hong Kong
2. Richmond, BC
3. Logan, UT
4. Newark, CA
5. Hauula, HI
FIVE THINGS ON MY TO-DO LIST!
2. Go walking
3.Organize my desk at work
4.Find a cheap jogging stroller
5. Clean bathroom
Being with David and Aaron, watching movies, listening to music, working out (when I actually do it), reading, laughing, talking to my friends, making stuff
TWO BAD HABITS!
1.Forgetting that I bought something and leaving it in the fridge past its expiration date.
2.Saying I'll go work out and eat instead
FIVE THINGS YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW ABOUT ME!
1. One of my ears sticks out more than the other. One is flat against my head and the other sticks out. I never would have noticed until someone pointed it out to me. (why they were looking at my ears, I'll never know)
2. I did capoeira for a year but only stopped because the teachers that were teaching it at BYUH left. They have a club on campus now but it's too late for me now. I'm getting old.
3. I'm only 5 months younger than my husband
4. I like to embroider (when I actually have time)
5. I (used to and would like to again) make hemp jewelry
FIVE JOBS THAT I HAVE HAD!
1. Chief Recieving Clerk at BYUH Bookstore
2. Student Supervisor at BYUH Bookstore
3. (unofficial) Cashier at BYUH Bookstore
4. (unofficial) Text worker at BYUH Bookstore
5. SPED Teacher at Kahuku High and Intermediate/Mother
(I worked at BYUH Bookstore for my whole college career and I teach SPED b/c there's no social studies positions for me right now)
Now I have to tag five people. Hmm...Brooke, Sylvie, Jackie, JaiCi, Tori
Friday, February 15, 2008
Here's our family celebrating Chinese New Year's with my brother, Luke at the BYUH 3rd Stake Party. It was pretty fun. I got a little rat charm and the boys got fans. Go figure.
Here's Aaron in his little Chinese outfit my mom's friend gave us. It's a little big but hey, when else is he going to wear it? He looks cute more Asian in it right?
Here's me and Aaron, David caught him in the middle of a laugh!! Aaron wouldn't smile for me when I took a picture of them...booger.
and...that was our Chinese New Year's in a nutshell. oh and David got to play with "fireworks" which were really little poppers!
This morning was pretty busy and crazy. I headed out to school as usual and I was on time and I was feeling pretty good when I was halfway to work when I realized I forgot to take my husband to his mom's house! SO I headed back home and got David and Aaron to go the house. Half way to David's mom's house, he realized that we forgot Aaron's food! So we headed back to the house to get the milk and then we were on our way. So instead of being at work early, I got there just in time for the bell to ring!!
We have pictures from Chinese New Year but I'll post those up later!
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
I've been wanting to get a baby sling for awhile because I think it would be nice to not always have to carry the car seat around everywhere we go and to also have my hands free. We do have a baby carrier but it's got buckles and not as compact as a sling with no buckles and rings. I have seen people wear them and I used to think it was strange and think "what the heck do you need one for?" but now that I have my own child that gets heavier each day and lots of things to do; I've been researching online for a cheap one. I looked at the brands, Hotslings and Peanut Shell and they can be pretty expensive, especially the ones that I like. So I figure I could make one myself...but that might take awhile for me to figure out and by the time I do, Aaron won't need it anymore. I'm determined to get one one way or another. The cheapest way will be to make one so... wish me luck!! ;D There's also one called the Moby wrap which is 5.5 meters and it wraps all the way around you which might also work for David too since our body sizes are different, mainly the height. It's also a lot cheaper than the slings....oh I don't know!!
Well to update on the hearing test.
We went this past Monday again to re-check the frequency of his high frequency hearing loss and we got a lot of information. He does have high frequency hearing loss and it's up in a certain range but I can't remember exactly where it fell. We have to talk to our pediatrician to find a ear, nose and throat doctor to look at his ear to determine if there is really hearing loss or if he has wax buildup which could also result in his hearing loss. Once the ENT determines that the hearing loss is not because of ear wax then we should get a medical release form for the hospital to get a hearing aid for him. I'm really glad that Hawaii has the Early Intervention program because I'm pretty sure they're going to pay for everything, if not everything then most of it or whatever my insurance doesn't cover. *whew* that's a load off my back!!
Saturday, February 2, 2008
As we all know, President Gordon B. Hinckley passed away and his funeral was today. It was being broadcast in the CAC at BYUH at 8am. Up until then, it didn't really hit me that he was gone nor was I super sad about it. But as I listened to all the speakers talk about the prophet, I could see him being the wonderful and funny man that he was. I especially liked President Monson's memories of President Hinckley and how he had used his cane. Instead of using the cane to walk, he would wave it in the air or tap people with it. He was such a cute man! After all the speakers had spoken, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sang the last song while a montage of President Hinckley played. While I was watching the video, it finally hit me that "my" prophet was gone and I started to tear up. It's so sad that he's gone but he's in a much better place and happier too now that he's reunited with his sweet wife.
I was just thinking about maybe putting more on my blogs and if I should make it more about the family, or Aaron or me and just now I decided that it could be about whatever! so then I got to thinking about what I could write being a working mom.
Everyone always asks me how I can go back to work, don't I miss him when I go? How do I do it? Well here's the answer. When I first started, it was hard. Of course I missed him but I knew he was in good hands, David, the older brother of seven siblings, a pro with babies and kids, was taking care of our baby. I wanted to be there but I'm good. I'm making money for us to survive and insurance. Insurance is especially key because of Aaron's hearing loss in his left ear. I'm not really sure what the medical will cover especially the hearing aid that he might have to have. So those are some things that keep me going. Sometimes I get really sad that I'm not at home and I feel like I'm missing out on something or I'll end up spoiling him because I feel bad that I'm not there for him. I'm just glad that I'm in this particular teaching position because it gives me the flexibility to pump at work so I can still nurse him and I'm sure glad I have understanding teachers that I work with and an understanding VP. It still stinks that I can't get tenured but it helps my family survive in Hawaii. OK well, I'm just blabbing and not really answering what I wanted to answer but I think that comes with me being tired and being on the computer late at night...I better get some rest!
Friday, February 1, 2008
I just read Brooke's blog about her encounter with her son's diaper and I'd like to share mine.
I came home from one day and fed Aaron and discovered that he had made doo doo. So I got ready to change it and I've had encounters before where he's exploded beyond his diaper so I got something to put under him. (we don't have a changing table so we change him on our bed/couch/changing table) as I started to lift up his onesie, I noticed some doo doo oozing out so I quickly put the bib under him but in doing so, I lay him on the bed which squished more doo doo out and onto his onesie. David had to help me get the onesie off as I hold Aaron and the doo doo gets all over his back and my hands since I'm holding him. I rush him into the shower and clean him off with my clothes still on!! It was craziness when it was happening but now that I'm writing about it, it's actually pretty funny!
Here's what his face would probably look like when I tell this story to the girls he brings over!!