Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, December 28, 2008

No power?! WHAT?!

The power went out last night at like 6:30pm island wide! Apparently, lightning hit like 3 transformers and so it automatically shut itself down as a precaution. We had a battery operated radio that we were listened to. They gave updates, had people calling in and even had Mayor Mufi Hanneman give information. Some of the people that called were unbelievable! One guy was upset that he pays like a $500 electric bill and the power isn't back on yet. WHAT?! He was for real! The DJ was shocked that he said that! The HECO guys were working as hard as they could given the circumstances! One lady even suggested using our solar power panels to get power...the DJ's had to keep from laughing! But all in all, we were reminded to keep off the roads and if we had to be driving, to remember that the stoplights should be treated as a 4 way stop.
It wasn't too bad, but we realized that we were really unprepared for an emergency. I don't even have a 72 hour kit! We had 1 flashlight, found 2 candles and no matches! We went over to my IL's for a little while and hung out, we borrowed a lighter to light our 2 candles. I have candles...I just don't know which box they're in!
We went to bed early while getting bit by mosquitoes. Man they were out to get us!
The power was still out the next day but David's cousin, Shaun, came over to hang out. We played some games, took a nap, played more games and by 2:30pm the power was back on!! YES! I love electricity! I also learned my lesson, we need to be prepared for any kind of emergency! On my to do list: Make a 72 hr kit for me and Aaron. (David already has one!)
and you know I have to end my wordy post with a picture of Aaron!

1 comment:

  1. My sister said that it was crazy with all the lights out - but fun at the same time! Good thing that you had some flashlights and batteries. AFter that happened, I started to check on all our emergency stuff!!!
    Glad you have some motivation, now :)

    ReplyDelete