Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Tsunami 2012

This is the third tsunami warning we've experienced. Every time, David has been on the ball and got everything we need together while he tells me what to do. I am so not prepared for any kind of emergency that I really do need to be told what to do. After this experience, we totally need to get EVERYBODY'S 72 hour kit together ASAP. 

When I heard about the tsunami warning, I literally froze and did nothing for like half an hour. David was volunteering at Haunted Lagoon and had the car. My mind was going a million miles a hour and I didn't know what to do first so I just sat there. I finally got my butt in gear and just started packing about three days worth of clothes for everyone. Thank goodness I have a bag fetish and had enough bags to put stuff in. 

David came home around 8-8:15ish or so and rolled into high gear. He grabbed what he had packed up from the last time we had a tsunami warning and put food and other important items into bags, told me what else to get and grab and we quickly packed up the car. 

The kids were so confused and kept asking where we were going and I kept snapping at them to just sit down and wait until we told them to get in the car. Poor kids, I'm sorry I snapped but Mommy was small kine freaking out and rushing like a maniac.

We drove up to Pearl City to stay at his Grandma's house along with his parents and siblings.
Most of us stayed up and watched the news, some fell asleep. The older girls, Hi'ilei, Mimo and Anela fell asleep quickly. Aaron and Raya refused to go to sleep because some of their cousins and Makana were still awake. They just wanted to play and not lay down and go to sleep. It was pretty frustrating since I was so tired and just wanted to rest. I ended up getting no sleep but I guess that is to be expected. 

The tsunami warning got downgraded to an advisory around 1 am so we headed back home. 

I also think the kids didn't want to sleep since it was probably exciting for them to be with their cousins so late at night. I'm thinking we need more sleepovers or play dates so they can get their family fill. 

I'm really glad that not too much damage was done and we were able to get home safely. Here's to hoping that we,  I, am more prepared next time! But I'm really hoping there is no next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment